N.F.L. Draft Grades: Experts Pick Round 1 Winners and Losers

Joey Zelenka

The success of a first-round N.F.L. draft pick will eventually be known; it just might take a few years.

But who wants to wait? Less than 24 hours after the first round was completed, everyone with a keyboard and an opinion was already grading the picks, sometimes pretty harshly.

We took a look at six of the more reputable assessors — Sports Illustrated, CBS, Fox, SBNation, Bleacher Report and the draft site Walter Football — to see which teams “won” or “lost” the draft, before any of the picks has even put on pro shoulder pads.

1. Myles Garrett, Browns: A

Garrett, a defensive end from Texas A&M, got a thumbs up from the panel, defying the Cleveland Browns’ reputation for making bad selections. The Browns’ pick got two A-pluses, three A’s and a B-plus, for a grade-point average of 3.98. As Benjamin Hoffman put it in The New York Times: “Virtually everyone else who watched him star for the Aggies thinks he can dominate in the N.F.L. He is this draft’s closest approximation of a sure thing.”

Concerns about injuries and big-play ability, and criticism by Warren Sapp, do not seem to have altered the consensus. The Browns got it right for once.

2. Mitchell Trubisky, Bears: D+

On the other hand …

The selection of the quarterback from North Carolina was met with an extended Bronx cheer. The Chicago Bears picked up a C and three D’s. Walter Football did not give the pick a grade, but wrote, “This is one of the worst draft moves ever made” and called it a “franchise-ruining selection.” Let’s call that an F.

by Victor Mather