Explain why so many sharks attack human, are they defending themselves?

Cindy Gonzalez, Contributor

According to researchers, sharks are only dangerous when you’re injured or “mistaken” for food. I’ve also heard that the Tiger shark is one of the few animals which actually consider a healthy human as prey and will stalk and hunt you down, then eat you completely. Is this true and, if so, are there other animals that behave this way?That said, it is NOT true that sharks are only dangerous when one is injured or mistaken for food. In fact, the vast majority (something on the order of 96%) of shark ‘attacks’ are single strikes — often either a bump with the snout or a raking with the upper jaw teeth only, with no biting or removal of tissue. This fact *strongly* suggests that most shark attacks have little — if anything — to do with feeding. It is my suspicion that the two main motivations of shark attacks are: 1) self-defense and, 2) investigation. Let’s look at each of these in turn.Like any wild animal, sharks will defend themselves if threatened. Despite their reputation for ferocity, sharks are actually remarkably non-violent creatures. If a shark ‘feels’ threatened — due to being pursued, grabbed, speared, or otherwise molested — it will most likely either swim away or attempt to signal its unease by way of a specific display, a kind of ‘body language’. My own field research has revealed that the exact character of shark displays elicited in conflict situations varies from species to species, but there are some features common to all species studied to date. Among the most obvious of these is a pronounced lowering of the pectoral fins, the paired, wing-like fins located behind the gill slits. If this warning is ignored, the shark may swim away rapidly or launch a lightning fast, slashing attack. Since we are the visitors in the sharks’ living room, the onus is on us to be a well-behaved guest, to recognize their signals, and to respond appropriately.

more information: http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/saf_eating_humans.htm